by Doris Donnerman
(last updated February 17, 2009)
Chocolate is one of my most favorite substances in the world and for the sake of others, I wish that all could enjoy the wonder that is chocolate. I had this same attitude as a little kid and one time asked my grandparents if I could feed some of my chocolate to their poodle. Immediately they said no, and told me that if I fed their dog chocolate it would be really bad for it. Applicable to all dogs, chocolate is definitely on the "not acceptable" food list.
No matter how adoringly your dog looks at you when you are eating chocolate you must never give your pet chocolate. Chocolate can be very toxic to your pet. The theobromine found in chocolate is the toxic ingredient in chocolate for dogs, and its toxicity varies depending on what kind of chocolate your dog consumes. Baking chocolate is the most harmful, and can actually kill your dog if it digests even just a little. Semi-sweet and milk chocolate aren't as harmful, and white chocolate is the least harmful, but you should avoid feeding your dog any kind of chocolate, because the toxicity, regardless of its potency is still harmful, and can still severely damage your dog's health.
If your dog shows cravings for chocolate, there are special treats that could satiate your pet. Buy sweet dog treats, and chocolate substitute treats for your dog, and they'll never know the difference. You do need to make sure to educate your family about what not to feed your dog. Sometimes children can innocently feed the dog something they're not supposed to, and so you don't want there to be any mistakes. Make sure that your children understand the risks involved with feeding dogs chocolate, and hopefully you can avoid any kind of dog disaster!
So, while as a little girl, I had the dog's best taste interests at heart, it's definitely a good thing my grandparents stopped me from feeding their poodle some of my chocolate. I sometimes feel bad for dogs because they can't enjoy the wonderfulness that is chocolate, but avoiding chocolate definitely is best for them, and you'll never regret not giving any to your dog!
Runts don't always get the best lot, you know. While it may be in the course of nature for the runt to lose out, as a pet ...Discover More
It's true—sometimes dogs get a little chubby. As a pet owner you need to be aware of this possibility, and know that ...Discover More
While the TV shows, movies, and cartoons all show pet owners tossing their dogs a bone for a treat, that's not what you ...Discover More